Our professional staff provide advice and training tailored to the needs of agencies to assist them to promote their services to people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and enhance their knowledge and skills in delivering culturally and linguistically appropriate services that better meet the needs of diverse clients.
Professionals are encouraged to call MIC staff for information and support.
Our training can be tailed to meet the needs of professionals in a range of settings. Training topics include:
- General cultural awareness which aims to enhance participants understanding of how culture impacts on values, beliefs and behavior for both clients and service providers
- Culturally specific training on people from Chin State and Karen State in Burma, Chinese cultures, Iranian culture, Asylum seekers, visas and migration and faiths such as Islam
- Effective communication with people from countries where English is not the first language and using interpreters
- Migration and settlement across the eastern suburbs of Melbourne
- Specialised service provision to newly arrived migrants and refugees in areas such as family violence services, youth services, early childhood services, road safety, and aged and disability services
The MIC may charge to cover our costs when the majority of migrants and refugees that the agencies provide services to have settled in Australia for more than 5 years or live outside of our region.
For secondary consultation, or to discuss the training needs of your staff please contact us.
Also see our research and resources.