When accessing our services we will ask you for your name, address, telephone/mobile numbers, date of birth, visa type, date of arrival, country of birth, ethnicity and language.
We will also ask you about your household/family (if appropriate) and collect their details.
We will make every effort to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate, up to date and complete.
Your information and that of your household/family will be treated confidentially, unless there is a reasonable belief that there is a risk of harm to yourself or others. In such cases appropriate authorities will be notified.
Our staff are trained in protecting your privacy.
Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information to:
- Assess your eligibility for our programs and services
- Provide you quality services that meet your needs and the needs of other household/family members including youth and children
- Assist us to make a referral to another agency/service that meets your needs with your consent
- Meet the reporting obligations of our funding bodies – we will ask for your consent for recording your details and inform you of who has access to your details and for what purpose
- Gain your feedback so we can improve our services and plan new services in the future – we will ask for your consent for us to contact you to talk about the services you have received.
Accessing your information
The Migrant Information Centre (Eastern Melbourne) will store paper files and electronic files of the information you provide in a secure manner for 7 years after you stop using our services. After 7 years your files will be destroyed in a secure manner.
You can ask to see the information we have about you and you can request to have your information updated, amended or where applicable released to other agencies.
To access your personal information or to make a complaint about how we have managed your information, please contact the MIC’s Manager, Jessica Bishop, on 9285 4888.